When you visit J. de Graffenried Dentistry, our dentists will perform an oral cancer screening as part of your exam. Regular screening will ensure that any problems are diagnosed and treated promptly.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, throat (pharynx), sinuses, and cheeks. With early detection, oral cancer can usually be treated successfully. Without regular screening, oral cancer is often not detected until it has reached an advanced stage and can be life-threatening. We are dedicated to doing all we can to protect our patients from threats to their health and well-being.
These are common symptoms of oral cancer:
- Persistent pain in the mouth or sores in the mouth that do not heal
- Persistent sore throat or feeling that something is caught in the throat
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Red, white, or speckled patches on the gums, tongue, or other areas in the mouth
- Numbness or loss of feeling in the tongue or other areas of the mouth
- Lumps, thickening, or rough spots iin the gums, cheek, or other areas of the mouth
Please contact our office at 903-218-4044 if you are experiencing any of these symptoms or any other type of dental or mouth pain.